One evening, when I was a teenager, my parents came out with the most amazing and unexpected outburst of "big brother is watching" paranoia. I really hadn't expected it. They had shown no prior interest in conspiracy theories, or end-of-the-world nonsense.
I can't remember what we'd been talking about, if anything. We were probably watching television - it was before extensions had been completed and the television moved, so Mum and Dad were sitting in the two brown elastic-"sprung" armchairs, whilst my sister and I were sitting in the swivelling high chairs we all sat in when we ate our meals.
I do, however, remember that my parents were talking about ATMs, which in those days were still relatively new. As a young child, the only way to get money from one's bank account was to go into the bank and talk to a bank clerk. I didn't have a bank card that allowed me to use them at that stage, but I was starting to think it was a good idea.
What I also remember, quite clearly, was that the subject had turned up apparently out of nowhere. Had there been some story on the news that had triggered this? I don't know. I can't remember. I probably hadn't been paying attention to the news, or something.
These days, I think that somebody must have mentioned to them that it was possible to sneak cameras and devices into ATMs that would allow a thief to steal one's pin number and card details, thus allowing them to break into one's bank account and steal all one's money. But then, these days it is perfectly natural to shield one's hand when one is entering bank account details.
But back then, I immediately assumed that they were talking about Big Brother. A shady government organisation. A load - I assumed - of complete and utter bollocks.
And it was bollocks. I am sure it was. How could it possibly have been anything else?
I can't remember what we'd been talking about, if anything. We were probably watching television - it was before extensions had been completed and the television moved, so Mum and Dad were sitting in the two brown elastic-"sprung" armchairs, whilst my sister and I were sitting in the swivelling high chairs we all sat in when we ate our meals.
I do, however, remember that my parents were talking about ATMs, which in those days were still relatively new. As a young child, the only way to get money from one's bank account was to go into the bank and talk to a bank clerk. I didn't have a bank card that allowed me to use them at that stage, but I was starting to think it was a good idea.
What I also remember, quite clearly, was that the subject had turned up apparently out of nowhere. Had there been some story on the news that had triggered this? I don't know. I can't remember. I probably hadn't been paying attention to the news, or something.
These days, I think that somebody must have mentioned to them that it was possible to sneak cameras and devices into ATMs that would allow a thief to steal one's pin number and card details, thus allowing them to break into one's bank account and steal all one's money. But then, these days it is perfectly natural to shield one's hand when one is entering bank account details.
But back then, I immediately assumed that they were talking about Big Brother. A shady government organisation. A load - I assumed - of complete and utter bollocks.
And it was bollocks. I am sure it was. How could it possibly have been anything else?
Comments
Post a Comment